Update 22:  24/07/2017  Tribute to Moebius new adds:

Aguilar Sutil:

A unique style that gives tribute.

Aguilar Sutil easily takes us to his terrain. It is impossible not to do it, with his drawing style, unique in its stroke, full of details ... that always invites us to go further. But let's stop the talking...take a good look at this drawing tribute, and if you understand the work of Moebius you will find "pretty little things" in it.

This artwork that he presents us comes to pay a well-deserved tribute to the master among masters, Jean Giraud, "Moebius". For those of you who are now joining, we are developing a tribute to the creator of the main character of our blog, Lieutenant Blueberry, in the fifth anniversary of his departure. We have a tribute section (top right hand tab) where you can enjoy the contributions of great creators of the world of drawing, comic, animation ... who have wanted to join this humble initiative. Now this gallery adds a new jewel, this wonderful drawing of Moebius, full of symbolism, that Aguilar Sutil gives us .
  
José Santiago Aguilar Sutil, born in Jaén, Spain, is a high school teacher who also teaches at the University of Jaén. He makes his drawings and works in the moments in which his profession and personal life allow him, which adds them a high merit and value. This has led him to collaborate in numerous publications such as Killer Toons, Diario Ideal, la Máquina de Albóndigas, el Batracio amarillo, Diario Jaén...highlighting Amaníaco, the humor magazine that quarterly fills with fresh air the national humorous cartoon scene.


Aguilar Sutil's comic strip from Amaníaco magazine.

Aguilar Sutil is a member of the cartoonists association of Jaén, also known as Viñeta 6, which was born in late 1988. We come back to Jaén, which is not surprising...don't forget that Juan Carlos Contreras, member of Viñeta 6 too, has been an active part of this tribute to Moebius with a fantastic illustration accompanied by an interview.

This is the interview that Aguilar Sutil has answered for us:

- The Blueberry Encyclopaedia (TBE): What has your biggest artistic influence in the beginning of your artistic life, and how has your style evolved?

The Marcinelle School in general and Franquin in particular in the north of the Pyrenees, and here in Spain the Bruguera School and Francisco Ibáñez as its greatest exponent. A few years ago I discovered Jacovitti whom I claim as one of the greatest European masters. As the years pass I tend to simplify the stroke, to try to say more with less but at the end I finish drawing even in the last corner of the vignette (horror vacui they call it).

- TBE: Do you have any "thorn in the flesh", like working with a specific artist, or working for any new editorial, or in any professional field that you haven't explored yet?

I am a mere amateur and I do not dedicate myself to this professionally. If something has marked my career in the world of comics,it was the opportunity that the great Jordi Coll brought me letting me collaborate in El Amaníaco. It is a magazine with which I feel totally identified and it is an honor to collaborate with the magnificent group of draftsmen and scriptwriters that integrate it. Recently I am also very excited with my collaboration with la Máquina de Albóndigas for which I am preparing a project that has me very enthusiastic. My dream would be to enter the Franco-Belgian market, a paradise of comics (BD) that I adore.


© Aguilar Sutil

- TBE: What is your favorite drawing and coloring technique?

I am very traditional and self-taught: Pencil and markers. For the color I use digital techniques but without using so much effects. I don't like digital inking at all, it seems too "perfect" and cold. I like to recognize the trembling of the artist's hand in the stroke, the "imperfections" are what give life to drawings.

- TBE: At what point in your career did you feel more comfortable working and with more creative freedom?

In the present, no doubt, and I hope this feeling will last many more years .



© Aguilar Sutil

- TBE: What do you think of digital comic books...is the comic industry in danger / crisis with the menace of pirate downloads? How can this affect the work of artists?

I am an addict to the smell of ink and I like to feel the paper in my own hands. Digital comics don't offer the same feelings. I like to treasure my comics, to watch their pages turn yellow and grow old with me.
I want to think that comics in its classic format are not going to disappear, those feelings I have can not be pirated.

- TBE: What can you tell us about your current job, and/or any clues to your upcoming projects?

As I said, I am still active with Amaníaco magazine and I am taking part in an ambitious proyect inside la Máquina de Albóndigas. I ha ve a few more proyects attending, but I prefere to keep the details for myself...


Amaníaco Magazine nº 37

- TBE: What memories / relationship / influence do you have with Jean Giraud and his artworks?

Since the days of Metal Hurlant I have been very fan of this MASTER, more like Moebius than like Jean Giraud. The reading of the Incal seems to me mandatory for any good comic book fan. Some of his posters decorate my house and I never cease to be marvelled by his unfathomable imagination and talent. I spent a few days in Belgium shortly after his death and it was impressive the homage and the feeling of sadness in many BD stores.


Aguilar, it has been a wonderful surprise to have you in this tribute and also to be able to know a little bit more about you and your work. We keep on following your works, which don't stop surprising us. Thank you very much.