Update 42:  18/12/2017  Tribute to Moebius new adds:


    Introducing Nicolas Demare



Lieutenant Blueberry's sketch by Nicolas Demare

Born in 1974 in the Paris region, Nicolas Demare began to draw at an early age,  discovering comics at the age of 8 and the heroic fantasy when he was 13, through the works of JRR Tolkien, Moorcock, Leiber among many other authors.



Spiderman

He then became a fan of role-playing games (including Dungeons and Dragons, Star Wars, Call of Cthulhu and Vampire: The Masquerade). 

At the age of 20, he met François Plisson, who opened his studio and showed him the world of comics, beginning his studies in history to finally studying graphic design, which leads him to work for the videogame industry while he makes his first debut in the comic industry producing illustrations for magazines and role-playing games. 



The mad hatter 

Nicolas made his professional debut at the age of 29 when Luc Istin was looking for a cartoonist for a comic that offered a new version of the famous adventures of the magician Merlin in "Merlin, the quest for the sword", series that he develops since 2005 to our days under soléil éditions seal. He also takes part in the second album of the series "Legends of the round table".



The Joker

Other of his works are: Legends of the round table (from 2006 to 2009), Pirates of the 1001 moons (2008), The daughters of the sun (2010), 62 authors of Boulogne (2010), Chronicles of the war of the fairies (2012), Adventurers of the sea (2013), She (2013), Oracle (2014) and Dwarfs (2016).

He currently resides in Lille.


  
Merlín, the quest for the sword


This is our interview with Nicolas Demare:

- TBE: What has your biggest artistic influence been and how has your drawing style evolved?

I had and have so many influences, it's hard to make a list, but US comic books, and particularly Marvel one's were a huge blow when I was young. Even if I was reading french comic books and drawing before that, my first issue of an X-men comic, at around 8 or 10 was a true calling : I'll be ,one day, a comic artist
and then I started to work towards that direction .

- TBE: What are the current graphic artists that you like the most?

I still have too much influences to name them all, from Mignola to James Jean, from Moebius to Jim Lee. Right now, among the "new generation", many italian artists blow my mind on a regular basis, and I'm also particularly fan of Immonen works, but that's just few of too many.



 Dwarves #5 cover (inks)

- TBE: With whom would you like to work?

I don't have any particular artist I'd like to work with, I'd rather enjoy their work and do mine after that, inspired, adding things to my mental world, but it's hard for me to work in team. Not that i don't like that, and in fact I did and do work with a team : like when I was doing videogames. Or those days with "Elves" and "Dwarves", the series I'm working on at Soleil publishing, we are team working, but I have to admit that, deep inside, I'm a loner when it's about work, I like to receive the script and stay in my cave working from there by myself. Which is not realistic.

It's a bit of an adjustment, and in fact I like that, also, be a part of a bigger thing. It's a bit contradictory and doesn't make a lot of sens
.
 
TBE: What do you think of digital comic books ... is the comic industry in danger / crisis with the menace of pirate downloads? How can this affect the work of artists? 

I don't really know if there is a straight answer...yeah, there is a risk, but on the other hand, it's also a way to touch more people than ever. It's just another way of distributing, working, consuming, and things will change, but that's an obligation, things have to change to evolve. We have to change. Also, perhaps the question is...do we have to change how we work on comics?. 

- TBE: What can you tell us about your current job? What about your upcoming projects?

I've just finished working on the vol' 10 of "Dwarves", and I'm about to start working on the vol 15...yeah it's a bit complicated : 5 artist on the serie, each one dedicated on a particular dwarf clan, each volume about one of the five clan, so I'm doing the Shield Clan, every five book.

"Dwarves" books should have me occupied for a bit, and after that I have no clue. I'm not really great at planning, my brain has his own way of perceiving time, future doesn't really exist
.




Dwarves #10 TBP in january 2018

- TBE: What memory / relationship / influence do you have with Jean Giraud and his work?

I never met him, I saw him once or twice in convetions, from afar, never had a chance to discuss. But his work had a huge influence on me during my early years learning how to draw, and some interview or articles later helped me to understand some things. 

Moebius of course, had some influence, but there is not an artist who can't say that. But for me it was especially Giraud on Blueberry. I remember discovering his work, the horses, the hands, the background, the narration, thoses faces, it was a blast.

And, of course, the books where great, which added to the thrill. But I remember the day I discovered Chihuahua Pearl cover...It blowed my mind. At the time I was a huge fan, I did read and analysed those books many times. Perhaps some day I'll have the courage to do a western comic book...

It's been an honor counting on you in this tribute Nicolas, getting to know more of your work and your personal points of view. We look forward to reading your upcoming published works and enjoying them too.

Cheers...and good luck!!!

Sources:

Soleil Productions (Fr)
Bedetheque (Fr)
Wikipedia (Fr)
Lambiek (En)
Devianart (Fr)